Zorba, Male Belly Dancer

Henna Design Zorba's "Secret" Piano Page Henna Design

The Pie-Anna!

The piano tool kit I won on eBay finally arrived, time to work on the strings...

24 July 2005

Piano Tools
The collection of tools as it arrived. I tossed a few items, mainly the vial of
unknown liquid (probably tuning pin dope), a couple of moth-eaten hammers and
some worn out emery boards which I replaced with new. It also included a sizeable
collection of damper felts, including exactly one that was already affixed to a
damper block. That particular one came in handy...

1918 Hobart M. Cable
Schaff tuning lever ready for action!

1918 Hobart M. Cable
Look closely for the two unisons missing strings...

1918 Hobart M. Cable
In goes the new string!

1918 Hobart M. Cable
Complete. That wasn't too bad...
(Note white paint dot on the two affected tuning pins.)

1918 Hobart M. Cable
Mounting point and control cable for practice mute, installed earlier.

1918 Hobart M. Cable
Brightening the bass strings by the "twist and shake" method. First, they're unhitched
from the bottom hitch pin, pulled up and brushed off, carefully twisted around then re-installed
with a twist and a half put into them. Brightens the tone dramatically! Note the other side's
practice mute mount.

1918 Hobart M. Cable
Replaced the spotlighted damper with a new one that came with the tools. It had been replaced
once before in the past with the incorrect type, and had been giving me a bit of minor trouble.

1918 Hobart M. Cable
Removed the remaining pneumatic components of the player mechanism. Maybe someone on
eBay will want them. This enabled me to removed even more dust from the beast...

1918 Hobart M. Cable
Had to reglue another key ivory. This one had been super-glued on very poorly...
Note the cool clamps! They also came with my nifty tool kit!

1918 Hobart M. Cable
Here's the practice mute in position - I want to try to connect the control for it to the
old player control levers under that false front below the keyboard. Note rubber band holding
bass hammer - I don't want a hammer broken because there isn't a string there to stop it (see below).

The good news is that the two treble notes that were missing a string have been fixed, and the bass strings sound MUCH better. The bad news is that I lost one of the bass strings while doing the brightening procedure - a hazard of doing this to 87 year old piano wire. A new one will be ordered. It needed fixing anyway!

I also did a bit more key bed leveling, and misc. cleanup.

Tasks yet to do: Adjust for lost motion in the action - all 88 keys, install replacement bass string when it arrives (ordering tomorrow), order and replace the little button bumpers on the fallboard and little knobs for same, and replace the fallboard felt. The existing felt is ok structurally, but is old, faded, dirty, and in a very visible place. Ordering that tomorrow too.

Then we should be ready for the tuner...



Click for Site Map
Site Map
Copyright and Terms of Use

Page footer